|Aug 24, 2008 7:48 pm
||Make Ahead Berry Dessert.
|| Happy "Go to Meetin'" Sunday Folks.
I posted this today over at Betty's Classy Chefs Network and then thought I might post it here too. This is a "make ahead" recipe.
This Berry recipe is easy and faster to make than it sounds. I use a big glass bowl with straight sides (to show off!) and put it on a sideboard at dinner time when I have guests. It's so pretty and of course, yummy!
My sister-in-law gave me this recipe some 15 years ago and I assume she got it from a magazine or someplace like that. Possibly from Sara Lee packaging. I actually have no clue. I just know it has remained one of our favorite summer dessert recipes.
"Straws of Berries"
It is said that children are responsible for naming the strawberry. After picking the fruit, children strung them on tall grass straws and sold them "by the straw" or as "straws of berries."
STRAWBERRIES AND CREAM
1 Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 1/2 Cups Cold Water
1 Pkg. Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix (4 serving size)
2 Cups Whipping Cream
1 Pkg. Frozen Pound Cake - thawed. (Sara Lee)
1/2 Cup Strawberry Jam (maybe a little more)
4 Cups Strawberries
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and water. Mix with spoon. ADD Pudding mix; Beat well with mixer. Chill until set.
2. Whip whipping cream until stiff. Chill.
3. Clean and slice strawberries. Refrigerate.
4. Cube pound cake. Refrigerate.
5. Fold together: The pudding mixture and the whipped whipping cream.
6. Layer in (at least) a 4 quart bowl reserving enough strawberries and cake to make a pretty "designed" top later:
1 to 2 cups of the combined mixture - about 1/4 of what you have.
Top with 1/3 of the pound cake cubes.
1/3 of the strawberries
Teaspoon on and spread 1/3 of the jam.
Repeat Layering - ending with pudding.
7. Arrange reserved pound cake cubes and strawberries in a nice pattern on top.
8. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
Serves a bunch of people. About a bazillion calories. Truly Luscious!
ABHP - JOIN this ACTIVE Ryze Network! - http://abhp-network.ryze.com/
Web Services - http://www.buddywebworks.com/
SEO Copywriting - http://www.buddycopywriting.com/copywritinghome/
Web Site Graphics - http://www.buddywebgraphics.com/
Private Reply to Eileen Brown (new win)