Ryze - Business Networking Buy Ethereum and Bitcoin
Get started with Cryptocurrency investing
Home Invite Friends Networks Friends classifieds
Home

Apply for Membership

About Ryze


*Entrepreneurs
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics
Post New Topic
Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?Views: 237
Apr 30, 2004 2:28 pmIs there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Roger Martin
I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.

Except for the personal business contacts in local community.

Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?

Roger L. Martin
goodday@be.quik.com
406-252-6341


Private Reply to Roger Martin

May 02, 2004 12:58 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Ron Rubin
Roger:

You have made a generalization here that I disagree with.

All media can be effective.

The only thing that a medium can do for you is put you on stage in front of an audience. How well you perform is up to you.

You need to appreciate that not every audience is appropriate for every product or service. Plus, you need to know whether there is a demand or need for what you are trying to market. If you have the right product, and the offer is compelling and priced right, then you have a chance at capturing the consumer's attention.

The "creative" that you use to advertise must be compelling, as well. If you have a great product and a lousy advertisement, then your campaign will not perform very well.

My recommendation is to use Ad professioanls for campaign deign and media placement. Don't try to do-it-yourself.

A common misconception is that all advertising is direct response. In reality, it is not. Most consumers have no interest in your product or service when they hear or see your Ad. Advertising is designed to create brand awareness and top of mind recall. When the consumer arrives at a point when they need a product or service like yours, they will then think of you first, because you have done a good job with your Ads. That is why sustained campaigns are necessary. People who run "test campaigns" are often disappointed when their expectations are not met, because their campaign didn't allow for the necessary frequency and reach to achieve awareness.

If your online advertising is not working, question the websites that you are using, the length of your campaign, the creative that you are using, and whether your Ad dollars are targeting the right consumer groups.

I hope that this is helpful. Internet Advertising can be a very worthwhile part of any marketing campaign.

Ron Rubin

> Roger Martin wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>
>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>
>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>
>Roger L. Martin
>goodday@be.quik.com
>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Ron Rubin

May 02, 2004 1:39 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Don Bell
Hello Roger,

It would depend on what you are trying to sell...???

> Roger Martin wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>
>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>
>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>
>Roger L. Martin
>goodday@be.quik.com
>406-252-6341

Dr. Donald M. Bell
http://www.tdbellenterprises.com


Private Reply to Don Bell

May 02, 2004 2:14 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Ken Scheinblum
Roger,

Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.

Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.

Just my $.02

Good luck,
Ken

> Roger Martin wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>
>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>
>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>
>Roger L. Martin
>goodday@be.quik.com
>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Ken Scheinblum

May 02, 2004 3:27 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Peter Ticali
Online marketing can be extremely effective for companies looking for that global reach and big company image.

It might not be good for a very locally focused business. My wife, for example, runs an AVON business and is rated in the top category accross Suffolk County, New York.

Yes, she has a website, and gets some leads from them - but its not effective because AVON is about personal service, think about the avon lady your order.... Most of the leads are offered to other representatives in the customer's local area.

Where she does get results is managing fundraisers, direct mail (we mail about 600 catalogs a month) and fatastic personal service....Customer Relationship Management.

So, tell us about your business, profile your target market, what you've tried and lets come up with a better idea!

Peter Ticali
peter@peterticali.com


> Roger Martin wrote: > I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either. > >Except for the personal business contacts in local community. > >Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective? > >Roger L. Martin >goodday@be.quik.com >406-252-6341


Private Reply to Peter Ticali

May 02, 2004 4:23 pmre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Mellonie
I absolutely agree with Ken. Keep in mind that the average consumer must see you company name/concept about 8 to 10 times before they are ever motivated to contact you (even if they desperately want or need your product/service)!!



> Ken Scheinblum wrote:
> Roger,
>
>Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.
>
>Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Good luck,
>Ken
>
>> Roger Martin wrote:
>> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>>
>>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>>
>>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>>
>>Roger L. Martin
>>goodday@be.quik.com
>>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Mellonie

May 02, 2004 5:50 pmre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Jean Maurice Touboul
I agree, we are a marketing co. and always recommend to people/company with a good product/message/offer and a unique angle to go the PR route. We have distributed Press Releases that have gained national attention and generated very nice business for an investment that was worth one day of Google Adwords budget.

On the other hand if you have a popular product, I also suggest that you explore affiliate marketing. Companies like ourselves offer very reasonable and effective solutions. Otherwise specialists like CJ or Performics in the US offer very sold options.

Best of luck,

Jean M. Touboul
ExecFocus.Net
One Client Success at the Time

> Ken Scheinblum wrote:
> Roger,
>
>Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.
>
>Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Good luck,
>Ken
>
>> Roger Martin wrote:
>> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>>
>>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>>
>>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>>
>>Roger L. Martin
>>goodday@be.quik.com
>>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Jean Maurice Touboul

May 02, 2004 6:08 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

WebsiteNation
How are you advertising online? I use Pay-Per-Click advertising and is has proven more cost effective that any other method I have tried to date. Also, maybe your ad copy has something to do with low response. As far as offline, I like magazines better than newspapers. The only advertising I have not tried yet is radio and billboards.

Good Luck
Steve


> Roger Martin wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>
>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>
>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>
>Roger L. Martin
>goodday@be.quik.com
>406-252-6341


Private Reply to WebsiteNation

May 02, 2004 7:14 pmre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Jasper Nell
Roger,

I believe you can do it without a PR...

Plse visit www.blizzardmarketing4y.com/MYSS and
see how You can Make Your Site Sell!

Once you've studied that book...Well it your
problem becomes peanuts :-)

They'll even give the lots of it away 4 free!
Go an See for Yourself


Best Regards

Jasper Nell



> Ken Scheinblum wrote:
> Roger,
>
>Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.
>
>Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Good luck,
>Ken
>
>> Roger Martin wrote:
>> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>>
>>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>>
>>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>>
>>Roger L. Martin
>>goodday@be.quik.com
>>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Jasper Nell

May 03, 2004 11:47 amre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Werner Egipsy Souza
from what ive seen here in india... advertising only says ur there. no more do people care about how classy ur ad is. its more important that the audience who want what u r selling get to know about it.
i would strongly recommend trying to become one of ur audience and realise which place, or medium would be the most cost-effective way to get their attention. for example, when i wanted to start live projects for grad adn post grad students, the best ppl would be the college teachers or the college toppers.. they r usually the ones who everyone refers!flyers have a very small chance of success... word of mouth is mah favourite!
wot say,
Werner
> Ken Scheinblum wrote:
> Roger,
>
>Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.
>
>Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Good luck,
>Ken


Private Reply to Werner Egipsy Souza

May 03, 2004 12:52 pmre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Gary Kraeger
Roger:

I have to disagree, we have made a lot of money from online advertising. We do very little regular advertising, if we can't track it we don't advertise. You do have to know what your doing when it comes to online ad's, it's not like throwing up a bill board.

I also agree PR is a great way to go, it has been very good to us.

Gary



Ken Scheinblum wrote:
> Roger,
>
>Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.
>
>Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising.
>
>Just my $.02
>
>Good luck,
>Ken
>
>> Roger Martin wrote:
>> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>>
>>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>>
>>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>>
>>Roger L. Martin
>>goodday@be.quik.com
>>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Gary Kraeger

May 03, 2004 3:27 pmre: re: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Robert Potter
Roger!

Get out of the bitter barn and play in hay! (Just kidding) (LOL!). There is really no evidence that online, or offline marketing does not work. If it didn't why are so many people doing it! However, not all types of approaches to advertising works. There are plenty of variables that can make your campaign take a turn for the worse..

Also, here is a brief overview from of marketing from the SBA. Not "riveting" information, but some good advice just the same:

http://www.sba.gov/gopher/Business-Development/Business-Initiatives-Education-Training/Marketing-Plan/

Also, the general rule for most advertising (providing that you have good copy, and a good advertisting campaign) is that you expose your message to your target audience about five to seven times. Only then will people start to take notice of your product or service..

You mention that "local" contacts are the only way to go. I would assume that you have a business that appeals to customers in your county or region? If you have not tried it already, I would suggest the following approach to advertising in your local area..

1) Local cable spots. They are cheap, and you can cover just the counties that you want, and also, you can hitch your wagon to some highly viewed programs like ESPN, CNN, etc. Your local cable provider can give you the demographics you wish to target, and it is a cheap way to get local "brand recognition".

2) We have a classified paper entitled: "I Wanna". This publication has nothing but classified offers and display ads. Many people use it to promote their stores, auctions, or whatever they have for sale. A one time full page insertion, just a few years ago, was only 200 dollars.

The "I Wanna" is distributed througout Western North Carolina, and upstate South Carolina. People go through this publication like it's the lastest Harry Potter novel. Find a similar publication in your area. Most cities and towns have these types of publication...If you don't have one of these papers, then you local news publication will do.

3) Hitch your wagon to mail outs like ValPack. http://www.valpak.com/index.jsp If you have ever received one of those packs of coupons from local businesses, than you know what I am talking about. You could "co-op" with other businesses in your area, and send out your offers within that stack of offers.

Also, some other websites that might help with local promotion:

Four Simple Strategies For Local Business
http://www.theallineed.com/business/strategies-local-business-marketing-online-offline-promotion.htm

Local Business Success Secrets.This is a PDF file. I have not read it yet, but it looks interesting. It is only 29 pages long. http://1stopaffordabledesign.com/lbss.pdf

If you have an online business, or want to learn more about why you should be online, and some advice on how to market, then you might want to take a look at some of these sites.

20 Reasons To Put Your Business On The Web
http://www.net101.com/reasons.html

Internet Marketing For Local Small Businesses.
http://www.marketingbestpractices.com/Articles/InternetMarketing.htm

Since I really don't what type of product you are selling, or how you are selling, it I hope that I covered at least part of the bases..Let us know the type of product you are selling, and what you have done in the past which lead to your conclusion that certain forms of marketing doesn't work.

Regards..

Robert C. Potter..
Creator Of The "Insider Deals" Newsletter And
"The Ultimate Guide To Products For Resale"
Over 300 Wholesale & Surplus Supply Sources For
Ebay Auction Sellers, E-Commerce Websites, Flea
Market Vendors, and Retail Store Owners!
http://www.productsforresale.com


Gary Kraeger wrote:
Roger:

I have to disagree, we have made a lot of money from online advertising. We do very little regular advertising, if we can't track it we don't advertise. You do have to know what your doing when it comes to online ad's, it's not like throwing up a bill board.

I also agree PR is a great way to go, it has been very good to us.

Gary



Ken Scheinblum wrote:
Roger,

Based on personal experience, I would highly recommend getting a professional PR person/agency before I would spend a dime on advertising. Definitely more bang for the buck, but don't expect overnight results. An effective PR campaign should last 6 to 12 months at a minimum.

Getting your name/company name in the media carries far more weight than advertising
Just my $.02

Good luck,
Ken

Roger Martin wrote
I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.

Except for the personal business contacts in local community.

Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?

Roger L. Martin
goodday@be.quik.com
406-252-6341


Private Reply to Robert Potter

May 03, 2004 3:40 pmre: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Garland Coulson
Hello Roger,

Here are some of the techniques I use to keep my advertising cost effective.

1. Use targeted e-newsletters. Good quality e-newsletters that are written specifically to my target market have been good places for me to advertise. They are a lot less expensive than other forms of advertising because many of them are run by hobbyists who charge reasonable rates. I track all the ads I run using a service called Marketers Choice that gives me unlimited ad tracking and auto responders for $19 per month. Visit here for a free trial - http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/default.asp?PR=6&ID=25239.

2. Advertise on commission. I have an affiliate program that people join. They promote my ads on their web sites and in their e-newsletters on a commission basis. This works wonderfully because I am only paying advertising costs on a successful sale. The system I use to set up and manage my affiliate program is Marketer's Choice at http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/default.asp?PR=6&ID=25239.

Tracking your advertising results is critical. I have wasted $1,000s of dollars in Internet advertising that didn't work. By tracking each ad's results, I am able to drop the non-performing ones and focus on the ones that work.

"One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose site of the shore for a very long time. Andrew Gide
------------------------------------------------------
Garland Coulson, "The E-Business Tutor" for FREE Internet Marketing Resources
visit our web site at http://www.marketerschoice.com/app/adtrack.asp?AdID=58535

> Roger Martin wrote:
> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>
>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>
>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>
>Roger L. Martin
>goodday@be.quik.com
>406-252-6341


Private Reply to Garland Coulson

May 07, 2004 4:11 pmre: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Valerie Prigent
Hello Roger,

What have you tried so far? Where on the web, what messages? I see that you are doing trade exchange, do you do anything else? What is your budget? I visited your site and I do think that a good plan can bring you additional leads. Send me a private message.

Valerie Prigent
Web Marketing Coach
http://www.myprivatecoach.com/webmarketing

> Don Bell wrote:
> Hello Roger,
>
>It would depend on what you are trying to sell...???
>
>> Roger Martin wrote:
>> I've come to the conclusion that advertizing on line is not vary effective, but for that matter off line doesn't seem to be much better either.
>>
>>Except for the personal business contacts in local community.
>>
>>Does any one have any effective ways to improve on or off line marketing -- so it more cost effective?
>>
>>Roger L. Martin
>>goodday@be.quik.com
>>406-252-6341
>
>Dr. Donald M. Bell
>http://www.tdbellenterprises.com


Private Reply to Valerie Prigent

Apr 06, 2022 5:08 pmre: re: re: Is there More effective way to spend advertizing dollar?#

Paul Finkelstein (Most Positive Attitude)

thoughts from 2004

Fb page: http://www.facebook.com/paulstevenfinkelstein
li: http://www.linkedin.com/in/paulfinkelstein
fb profile: http://www.facebook.com/planaborc
t: http://www.twitter.com/paulsteven


Private Reply to Paul Finkelstein (Most Positive Attitude)

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics

Back to *Entrepreneurs





Ryze Admin - Support   |   About Ryze



Ryze Android preview app

Testing Gets Real: blog on A/B testing, building businesses with feedback loops, by Adrian Scott

© Ryze Limited. Ryze is a trademark of Ryze Limited.  Terms of Service, including the Privacy Policy