Ryze - Business Networking Get a Coderbuddy developer now
www.coderbuddy.com

"I Highly Recommend Them" - Magnitude.io CEO; US timezone; affordable rates; Silicon Valley leadership
Get your software built!
Buy Ethereum and Bitcoin
Get started with Cryptocurrency investing
Home Invite Friends Networks Friends classifieds
Home

Apply for Membership

About Ryze


Entrepreneurs with ADD
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics
The Entrepreneurs with ADD Network is not currently active and cannot accept new posts
ADD a Disability?Views: 670
Dec 06, 2006 8:42 pmADD a Disability?#

Susan Knudsen
My son was diagnosed with ADD about 4 years ago. The more I learned about it for him, the more it sounded like me. At first I felt awful about me passing on this problem. My son seemed to be given a bad hand: He was struggling in school, yet mentally retaining what he learned. Now I tend to see ADD as a uniqueness like beauty or athletic prowess. Adults and children with ADD whom I've met seem to be more accepting of others, they adapt more easily to new situations, they're easy-going, artistic, sweet, kind, more excited about life's blessings, . . .It bothers me that anything involving those qualities is considered a disability regardless of how disorganized we are.

Private Reply to Susan Knudsen

Dec 06, 2006 9:00 pmre: ADD a Disability?#

Russ Jackman
Hi Susan,

I agree, I don't feel that I have a disability at all. I have "secret weapons" that my associates don't have, but as with any "secret weapon" you do have to know how to handle it and keep it from blowing up in your face ;) There are coping techniques and different ways of doing things to take advantage of the unique abilities of the ADD brain, while avoiding the pitfalls.

I wonder what society would be like if 50.1% of the population was diagnosed with ADD? Would the other 49.9% ... no longer the "norm" ... be considered disabled because they were not as creative or able to handle as many tasks at once as most people (the "normal" ones with ADD)? Or would we accept them for their unique gifts, such as the ability to perform repetitive tasks for long periods of time?

Russ

Private Reply to Russ Jackman

Dec 06, 2006 10:34 pmADD a Disability?#

Susan Knudsen
Hi Russ,

It's nice to hear from a kindred spirit.

I have mastered many coping skills but I haven't yet mastered staying organized. I'm great at getting organized but can't stick to a schedule of organization.
It drives me crazy to set a specific laundry day, or cleaning day, . . .even if I do, I forget and don't do it. My 14 year old son's the same way. I think it's comforting to him that I "understand". His dad doesn't get it at all.

Have a great evening.

Susan

Private Reply to Susan Knudsen

Dec 07, 2006 2:39 amre: ADD a Disability?#

Kelli J Wright
Like many-I prefer to think of myself as Differantly abled!!!
Blessings,
Kelli

Private Reply to Kelli J Wright

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics

Back to Entrepreneurs with ADD





Ryze Admin - Support   |   About Ryze



Ryze Android preview app

Testing Gets Real: blog on A/B testing, building businesses with feedback loops, by Adrian Scott

© Ryze Limited. Ryze is a trademark of Ryze Limited.  Terms of Service, including the Privacy Policy