Ryze - Business Networking Get a Coderbuddy developer now
www.coderbuddy.com

"I Highly Recommend Them" - Magnitude.io CEO; US timezone; affordable rates; Silicon Valley leadership
Get your software built!
Buy Ethereum and Bitcoin
Get started with Cryptocurrency investing
Home Invite Friends Networks Friends classifieds
Home

Apply for Membership

About Ryze


*It's a Dog's Life*
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics
The *It's a Dog's Life* Network is not currently active and cannot accept new posts
Warning: Grapes & Raisens fatal for dogsViews: 1035
Mar 05, 2008 10:43 amWarning: Grapes & Raisens fatal for dogs#

Denise St. John
I received this in an email and thought I would pass this along.

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Cent er and they said to give I V fluids at

1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.
Confirmation from Snopes about the above...
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Private Reply to Denise St. John

Mar 05, 2008 1:27 pmre: Warning: Grapes & Raisens fatal for dogs#

Ann Rader
Though this is written in present tense it's an email that's been around for several years. Raisin/grape toxicity came to light about 6-7 years ago. It's not understood why or what part of the friut causes problems in some dogs. It's thought that it's a sensitivity -- and it seems that not all dogs are sensitive. Still, of course, no raisins or grapes for any dogs.

The Humane Society of the United States has a list of toxic foods/substances on their web site -- including (for some dogs) garlic.

Here's HSUS link: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/

And from the American Animal Hospital Association:
http://www.healthypet.com/library_view.aspx?id=133

Private Reply to Ann Rader

Mar 05, 2008 5:28 pmre: re: Warning: Grapes & Raisens fatal for dogs#

Pamela Akkerman
I agree that no dog owner should give or leave on the counter tops - grapes, raisins, chocolate candy bars, chocolate chips, onions or garlic. We have basset hounds and the breed is known for counter surfing.

My bakery does not use any of these ingredients. When we experiment with a new recipe, we substitute onions or garlic with another herb, such as one of the italian herbs. It is for taste and dogs love some of the italian herbs too.

Please keep this in mind with your own fuzzy kids when baking or leaving things displayed on the kitchen counter.



Pamela Akkerman
www.FuzzyButtsBakery.com
www.FuzzyButtsBakery.wordpress.com

Private Reply to Pamela Akkerman

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics

Back to *It's a Dog's Life*





Ryze Admin - Support   |   About Ryze



Ryze Android preview app

Testing Gets Real: blog on A/B testing, building businesses with feedback loops, by Adrian Scott

© Ryze Limited. Ryze is a trademark of Ryze Limited.  Terms of Service, including the Privacy Policy