Ryze - Business Networking Get a Coderbuddy developer now
www.coderbuddy.com

"I Highly Recommend Them" - Magnitude.io CEO; US timezone; affordable rates; Silicon Valley leadership
Get your software built!
Buy Ethereum and Bitcoin
Get started with Cryptocurrency investing
Home Invite Friends Networks Friends classifieds
Home

Apply for Membership

About Ryze


*It's a Dog's Life*
Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics
The *It's a Dog's Life* Network is not currently active and cannot accept new posts
Raisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!Views: 916
Apr 09, 2008 3:36 pmRaisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!#

Nicole Matoushek
I got this email from my mom....

**********
Written by:

Laurinda Morris, DVM

Danville Veterinary Clinic

Danville, Ohio

This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal failure but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard something about it, but.... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at
1 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine! Over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and c r eatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids. At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.

He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control sai d as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's. Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

Even if you don't have a dog, you might have friends who do. This is worth passing on to them.

Confirmation from Snopes about the above...

http://www.snopes. com/critters/ crusader/ raisins.asp


**********************
Nicole
http://www.Well-BehavedDog.com

Private Reply to Nicole Matoushek

Apr 09, 2008 3:59 pmre: Raisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!#

Pamela Akkerman
Hi Nicole,

Yes, this is true but this email has been floating through cyber space for over a year and a half. I saw it then. I don't even feed my bassets figs or dates because I don't want to take the chance of it coming close to the grape/raisin toxins.

Less known toxic food is avocados. But please remember to never give onions in any form including onion powder. Some dogs can become very sick in a short amount of time. Garlic is very controversal and there are people on both sides of that issue. Should you give your dog garlic or not in any form? I have chosen not to give them garlic because I would prefer to be safe than sorry. There are many other herbs such as sage, thyme and oregano that you can substitute for the onion and garlic but keep some flavor in the food.

Hope this helps other dog parents.
Pam




Pamela Akkerman
Where Seniors Are The Top Dog
http://www.TheGourmetDogBakery.com
http://www.TheGourmetDogBakery.com/blog

Private Reply to Pamela Akkerman

Apr 09, 2008 4:25 pmre: re: Raisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!#

Ann Rader
This all goes back about seven years. It's still not understood but it's thought to be a sensitivity on the part of some dogs -- not all dogs. Of course it only makes sense to avoid grapes and raisins for our dogs.

Just like onions, garlic contains thiosulphate, which is toxic to dogs and especailly to cats. Onions are more of a danger because of the amount of thiosulphate in the vegetable.

Pets affected by thiosulphate toxicity will develop haemolytic anaemia. While some dogs can tolerate some garlic, it should be used cautiously, if at all.

Private Reply to Ann Rader

Apr 24, 2008 3:55 pmre: re: re: Raisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!#

Gretchen Hulett
Apple cores can be added to the list, too.

Private Reply to Gretchen Hulett

Apr 25, 2008 2:54 pmre: re: re: re: Raisins Toxic to Dogs, Read this!#

Nicole Matoushek
Thanks!!!! I did not know about the onions and garlic.

Nicole

Private Reply to Nicole Matoushek

Previous Topic | Next Topic | Topics

Back to *It's a Dog's Life*





Ryze Admin - Support   |   About Ryze



Ryze Android preview app

Testing Gets Real: blog on A/B testing, building businesses with feedback loops, by Adrian Scott

© Ryze Limited. Ryze is a trademark of Ryze Limited.  Terms of Service, including the Privacy Policy